Block Party Permit
You must submit a written letter of intent when planning a neighborhood block party. Shoreview participates in the Night To Unite (formerly known as National Night Out) event held at the beginning of August each year, and residents are encouraged to host block parties at this time.
1. Submit a written letter of intent including your name, address, date and time of party, preferably two weeks prior to the date.
2. A copy of the letter of intent will be sent to the Street Supervisor/Public Works, Fire Chief and the Ramsey County Sheriff's Patrol as a notice of your intention to have a block party in your neighborhood.
3. Shoreview Public Works Department will drop off barricades at requestor's address.
4. Please place signs on the barricades informing any vehicle operators that there is a block party in progress. (Please understand that bands or loud music are not permitted, as the City has a noise ordinance that regulates noise levels for various zoning districts).
5. Requestor is responsible for securing barricades after the party until the Public Works Department picks them up on the following Monday. Be advised that in no way is the City's allowance to block off the street to be considered permission for any violation of ordinances.
6. OPTIONAL: Invite the patrol deputy. You and your neighbors may wish to invite the patrol deputy for your block party. The City and the Sheriff's office are promoting "Community Patrol" and are looking for opportunities for officers to get out of their cars and meet people in a low key way. Your block party would be an excellent time to get crime prevention tips, neighborhood watch information and to encourage neighbors to know and watch out for one another. You can reach the Volunteer Coordinator at 651.266.7332. Please understand that if serious police calls come in, the deputy may not have time to stop.
7. OPTIONAL: Invite the fire department. Sometimes volunteer firefighters are available to bring a truck by and explain operations. If interested, call 651.481.7024 a few weeks before your party and leave your request on the answering machine. Please understand there are times when they may not be available.
For more information regarding the block party permit, contact 651.490.4650 or firstname.lastname@example.org