2020 "Community of Many Colors" winning poster by Liang Sorman from Island Lake Elementary.
This commission advises and aids the City of Shoreview by establishing and promoting a community standard of equal opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We envision a community where all people are welcomed, valued, and respected; where each person feels at home.
The HRC's responsibilities include:
- Developing educational programs and increasing awareness
- Coordinating efforts with neighboring human rights commissions
- Advising and recommending items related to human relations and civil rights problems
- Providing direction and support to people or organizations on:
- Civil and human rights
- Identifying responsibilities to bridge cultural and other differences
Fourth Wednesday of each month, 7 pm
- Katy Gibbs, co-chair
- Ben Schwanke, co-chair
- Richard Bokovoy
- Elaine Carnahan
- Mary Johnson
- Gene Nichols
- Ashley Patel
- Lisa Wedell Ueki
- Julie B. Williams
- Nora Anderson, student representative
- Claudia Seyfarth, student representative
- Vibhaa Venkat, student representative
Renee Eisenbeisz, assistant to the city manager
651-490-4613 | Email Renee
The HRC created the Caring Youth Award to honor Shoreview's outstanding young volunteers. Nominees help make Shoreview a community where all people are welcomed, valued, and respected.
- Live in or volunteer in Shoreview
- Be in grades 9 through 12
- Meet the criteria in one or more of the following categories.
- Anti-Bullying Efforts
- Arts & Creativity
- Community Involvement
- Cultural Awareness
The application period for 2019 is now closed.
These organizations can help with bias/hate crimes.
- Ramsey County Sheriff's Department - 651.484.3366
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights - 651.296.5663
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission - 612.335.4040
- Ramsey County Attorney's Office Victim Witness Services Division - 651.266.3222
- Ramsey County Bar Association - 651.224.1775
- Dispute Resolution Center - 651.292.7791
- Northwest Youth and Family Services - 651.486.3808
- First Call for Help - 211
- Mounds View School District - 651.639.6003
- Roseville School District - 651.635.1600
- St. Paul Area Council of Churches - 651.646.8805
- Children Who Care, Educating Your Child About Human Rights
A booklet showing how to teach children about kindness, fairness, tolerance, empathy and courage; how to recognize prejudice, stereotypes, discrimination; and the adverse effects of prejudice and discrimination.
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Watch
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- The Carter Center
- United Nations