Planning Applications and Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Kathleen Castle, City Planner
Phone: 651.490.4682 | E-mail Kathleen


Niki Hill, Economic Development and
Planning Associate
Phone: 651.490.4658|E- Mail Niki


Typically, residential related applications require administrative or Planning Commission approval.

A link to the regulations of the Development Code is also provided.  

Application and approval are required for the following:

Residential Applications:

The establishment of an Accessory Apartment for single family residents

Accessory Apartment Application

The establishment of a Home Occupation, located on property in a Residential District.

Home Occupation Application

A Detached Accessory Structure Permit-Riparian Lot is required to permit construction of an accessory building in the front (street) yard of a lake lot.

Detached Accessory Structure Permit Application (Riparian Lot)

Residential Design Review is required for construction, reconstruction, alteration or addition to dwellings on substandard lake lots.

Residential Design Review Application

Residential Design Review Application - Non-Conforming

Approval by the City Council is required for Minor Subdivisions resulting in three or fewer parcels.

Minor Subdivision Application

Variance from the literal provisions of the Development Code can be granted by the Planning Commission when strict compliance would cause undue hardship.

Standard Variance Application

Other Residential and Commercial Applications:

Other residential and commercial applications normally require review by the Planning Commission which makes a recommendation to the City Council for approval or denial of the application. These applications must be accompanied by a detailed description of the project, demonstrating compliance with City standards for parking, landscaping, lighting, grading and stormwater management, as well as any other applicable regulations.

Site and Building Plan Review is required for development, alteration or expansion of any use on property in all districts, except for single family detached dwellings. 

Site and Building Plan Review Application 

Sign Permit is required prior to the installation of a sign.  They are regulated by the City's Development Ordinance, Section 208.

Sign Permit Application

Comprehensive Sign Plan review is required for multi-tenant building or where signage proposed does not conform to the provisions of the sign regulations.

Comprehensive Sign Plan Review Application

Major subdivisions, those resulting in four or more parcels in residential districts or any division in all other districts, require review and approval of both Preliminary Plat and Final Plat. 

Preliminary Plat Application

Final Plat Application

Planned Unit Development (PUD) review consists of three distinct applications and review. Concept Stage PUD addresses land use compatibility. Development Stage PUD is a detailed review of site and subdivision plans. The Final Stage review is to determine compliance with the prior approvals.  

PUD Concept Application

PUD Development Stage Application

PUD Final State Application

Temporary Sale/Event permits are required when there is a temporary sale or event.


Rezoning. Amendments to the Development Ordinance or to the Zoning District Map boundaries may be initiated by the City Council, the Planning Commission or an affected property owner. Approval or denial is granted by the City Council after the Planning Commission holds a required public hearing and forwards a recommendation to the City Council.

Rezoning Application 

Comprehensive Guide Plan Amendment. The process to amend the City's Comprehensive Plan is similar to the process noted above, with an additional required review by the Metropolitan Council. 

Comprehensive Guide Plan Amendment Application

Conditional Use:

Conditional Use permits are required to establish or expand certain uses which by their very nature have greater than usual potential for adverse impact on nearby areas. The conditions attached to the permit allow the use under specified conditions.

Conditional Use Permit Application

Conditional Use permits are also required for certain uses which, upon approval, may then be established within a floodplain

Conditional Use Permit Application for Properties on a Floodplain

Contact Information

For more information contact the Planning Department contacts listed on the right side of the page.  

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer