Project manager: RJM Construction
Staff contact: Tracy Petersen, Parks and Recreation Director, 651-490-4754
Timeline: Summer 2019 - spring 2020
Update, week of October 14
- The skatepark contractor has completed all of the color concrete work in the “bowl” area of the skate park and is planning to finish the remaining concrete this week.
- The earth work contractor is in the process of back filling the area around the skate park.
- Contractors have poured sidewalk along parts of the school district building and in the new median area.
- The asphalt contractor will complete the remainder of the sidewalk work this week and the mill and overlay of the west side of the parking lot and entrance drives will occur the week of October 21st .
- The earth work contractor has also completed a significant amount of grading and back fill work on the new decorative pond. They are planning to install the pond liner in the next 7-10 days.
Pond and garden area
A new pond and garden area is being built near Haffeman Pavilion. This new area will provide a formal space for special events and a beautiful landscape for residents and visitors to enjoy. The new pond will also be an ice skating rink in the winter.
Plaza-style skate park
The old skatepark has been removed. The new skate park will be a challenge to all levels of skateboarders, bikers, and rollerbladers. It will include quarter pipes, wedges, grind rails, and steps.
Mound Avenue playground
The neighborhood playground will be replaced along Mound Avenue. In addition, a new shelter will be located adjacent to the playground to provide shade and seating.
Trails and sidewalks
Construction also includes new trails and sidewalks throughout the area. The new paths will provide a direct link between the community center and Ramsey County Library. They will also provide easier access to Shoreview Commons from the surrounding neighborhood.
Parking lot improvements
The upper level parking lot is also being modified. Changes to it will improve traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian crossing to the planned destination playground. The destination playground will be part of the second phase of construction, scheduled for 2021.
The second phase of the project is currently proposed for 2021 and includes
- A destination playground
- A new park building near the destination playground
The City of Shoreview Parks & Recreation Department is in the process of developing a master plan for Bobby Theisen Park. The plan will include the potential expansion of the existing pickleball courts in 2020. In addition, staff would like your input exploring other amenities that could be added, removed, or modified in future years.
The city has worked with LHB, an architect, to develop three concepts for Bobby Theisen Park.
If you have questions or comments, please feel free to contact us.
Staff contact: Gary Chapman, Building and Grounds Superintendent, 651-490-4756
Timeline: Spring 2020
The basketball and tennis court/pickleball surfaces at Commons parks are being resurfaced in spring 2020.