Project manager: RJM Construction
Staff contact: Tracy Petersen, Parks and Recreation Director, 651-490-4754
Timeline: Summer 2019 - spring 2020
Update, week of November 25 (last update until project resumes in spring 2020)
- The plaza-style skatepark contractor has completed the skatepark installation and a spring opening is planned.
- The decorative pond has been completed and riprap and the river rock base in the pond have been finished. Water will not be put into the pond until next year.
- Nearly all of the trails and trail base material is in place. The final concrete and asphalt paving work will be completed next spring. final grading and landscaping work will also be completed in the spring.
- The new park shelter adjacent to the playground located off of Mound Avenue will be installed in 2020. The stormwater retention pond located behind the tennis courts has been partially excavated and the final work will continue in the spring.
Pond and garden area
A new pond and garden area is being built near Haffeman Pavilion. This new area will provide a formal space for special events and a beautiful landscape for residents and visitors to enjoy. The new pond will also be an ice skating rink in the winter.
Plaza-style skate park
The old skatepark has been removed. The new skate park will be a challenge to all levels of skateboarders, bikers, and rollerbladers. It will include quarter pipes, wedges, grind rails, and steps.
Trails and sidewalks
Construction also includes new trails and sidewalks throughout the area. The new paths will provide a direct link between the community center and Ramsey County Library. They will also provide easier access to Shoreview Commons from the surrounding neighborhood.
The second phase of the project is currently proposed for 2021 and includes
- A destination playground
- A new park building near the destination playground
Staff contact: Gary Chapman, Building and Grounds Superintendent, 651-490-4756
Timeline: Spring 2020
The basketball and tennis court/pickleball surfaces at Commons parks are being resurfaced in spring 2020.