|The city and the Shoreview Historical
Society partnered to preserve the Guerin
Gas station, which dates back to the 1920s.
The area that is now Shoreview was once inhabited by Dakota and Ojibwe Indians. Indian mounds containing human bone fragments, arrowheads, pieces of pottery, and bits of charcoal have been found on Rice Creek near the north shore of Long Lake in New Brighton. In 1837, the land lying between the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers, including what is now Shoreview, was ceded to the United States Government by the Ojibwe.
In February 1850, Socrates A. Thompson, accompanied by an Indian friend, left St. Paul in search of a good location for farming. Thompson was the first person to settle on land that is now within the boundaries of the City of Shoreview. Soon people from Switzerland, England, Ireland, Germany, Vermont, Virginia, Illinois and New York began farming here.
Mounds View Township, which was named for the range of hills running through the center of the township, was organized May 11, 1858, the day that Minnesota became a state. The first railroad lines through Shoreview, the "Soo Lines," were built during the 1880s.
On March 14, 1957, a group of citizens, feeling the inadequacy of a township government, presented a petition to the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners that called for the incorporation of the Village of Shoreview. After a bitter dispute, an election was held at the Snail Lake School and the incorporation of Shoreview was approved by a vote of 853 to 748. On April 23, 1957, Shoreview was officially incorporated. At this time, Shoreview had a population of 5,231 and an assessed valuation of $1,884,000. On May 23, 1957, Kenneth Hanold was elected the first mayor.
On December 10, 1963, Interstate Highway 694 was opened through Shoreview. The present three TV towers have become familiar landmarks in Shoreview and are the tallest structures in the metro area.
On November 5, 1963, in order to better deal with the village's growing population, the citizens of Shoreview voted to shift to a "Plan A" form of government under which the village clerk and treasurer were appointed rather than elected. Shoreview became a city on January 1, 1974 through an act of the State Legislature. With a population of over 14,000, the residents voted in November 1974 to adopt the present "Plan B" Council-Manager form of government.
Contact the Shoreview Historical Society for more information.