Shoreview's City Council is composed of a Mayor and four Councilmembers. The Mayor serves a two-year term of office, and the Councilmembers are elected at large to serve overlapping four-year terms. Shoreview has adopted the Plan B Council/Manager form of government, one of three forms permitted by the Minnesota State Legislature.
The Council has policymaking and legislative authority, and they appoint the City Manager, who is charged with the administration of city business in accordance with Council decisions.
The Manager has the authority to appoint all employees and is responsible for the development of the budget.
Meet the Council
- Mayor Sandy Martin
- Councilmember Emy Johnson
- Councilmember Terry Quigley
- Councilmember Sue Denkinger
- Councilmember Cory Springhorn
The City Council exercises the following powers and duties:
- Legislates for the city, passes ordinances, sets administrative policies.
- Adopts an annual budget to guide expenditures and revenue and appropriates funds to operate city government.
- Approves a 5-year Capital Improvement Program and appropriates funds for various capital improvement projects and equipment purchases.
- Considers various development proposals, subdivisions and plat requests and various appeals.
- Establishes multi-year goals for the City.
- Appoints persons to advisory committees and commissions.
- Participates in various city intergovernmental relationships.