Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Dog, cat, and potbellied pig licenses

Beekeeping licenses
Aaron Sedey, Associate Planner
651.490.4681 l Email Aaron

Chicken licenses
Kyle Seifert, Code Enforcement Officer
651.490.4669 l Email Kyle

Animal Control

St. Paul Animal Control Center
1285 Jessamine Avenue W
St. Paul, MN 55108
Monday-Friday, 1-5 pm

Dogs, cats, Vietnamese potbellied pigs, chickens and wild animals must be licensed through the City. A full ordinance is available in Section 601 of the City Code.

Dog and cat licenses are valid as long as the rabies shot is valid. All other animal licenses are valid for up to two years.


Dog, cat, or Vietnamese potbellied pig licenseApply online for a dog, cat, or potbellied pig license ($10 fee) and bring in or mail a copy of your pet's rabies certificate to Shoreview City Hall, 4600 Victoria Street North, Shoreview MN 55126.

Chicken license Bring in or mail a chicken license application and $30 fee to Shoreview City Hall, 4600 Victoria Street North, Shoreview MN 55126.

Beekeeping license - Bring in or mail a beekeeping application and $30 fee to Shoreview City Hall, 4600 Victoria Street North, Shoreview MN 55126.

Dogs, cats, or Vietnamese potbellied pigs
  • Animals are not allowed to roam freely, they must be confined to inside your property line by fencing, leash or enclosure.
  • Pet owners must provide:
    • Sufficient, wholesome food and water
    • Proper shelter
    • Veterinary care as needed
    • Humane care and treatment
  • While exercising your pet, a leash no more than 6 feet in length must be used.
  • Excrement from animals must be cleaned up and disposed of properly.
  • No more than three dogs or cats over the age of six months, or three Vietnamese Potbellied pigs are permitted in one residence. The total number of combined licensed animals is limited to four.
  • If you lose your license tag, duplicate tags are available at city hall.
  • Additional Regulations for Vietnamese potbellied pigs:
    • Male pigs must be neutered when they reach four weeks old.
    • Adult pigs cannot weigh more than 100 pounds or stand more than 22 inches at the shoulders.
    • Pigs must undergo a blood test to show that animal is free from rabies.
    • Pigs must be confined inside the owners property line.

Where can I exercise my dog off leash?

Ramsey County Park and Recreation has designated an off leash area within Rice Creek North Regional Trail Corridor, located off Lexington Avenue in northwest Shoreview. For questions and rules, call 651.748.2500.

From May 1 to November 1, the City of Shoreview offers off-leash dog areas within the hockey rinks at Bucher Park, Wilson Park, and Bobby Theisen Park. These are intended to complement the large County-operated off-leash dog area in the Rice Creek open space. The City provides benches and trash receptacles in each of these spots. 


Chickens may be kept within the City limits on residential properties located in the RE, Residential Estate Zoning District and the R1, Detached Residential District, subject to the following conditions:

  • On residential properties, maximum number of chickens are based on property size:
    • 2 acres or less: four hen chickens or pullets, no roosters
    • 2 acres or larger: A conditional use permit may be required if you'd like more than four hen chickens or pullets, roosters may be permitted.
  • The butchering of chickens is prohibited
  • Chickens shall be fully contained on the property at all times through the use of fencing.
  • Shelters must comply with all requirements of the Development Code.
  • Food materials are stored outside shall be in closed containers with lids
  • All containment areas and shelters shall be maintained in a clean, sanitary, and odor free environment and shall be free from the presence of rodents or vermin at all times.
  • Chickens shall not be raised or kept for fighting. Cockfighting is prohibited.

Bee hives may be kept within the City limits on residential properties located in the RE, Residential Estate Zoning District and the R1, Detached Residential District, subject to the following conditions:

  • Certification of a completion from a honeybee keeping course from the U of M, Century College, Three Rivers Park District or comparable course.
  • On residential properties Maximum Colony Density based on property size:
    • 1 acre or larger: 8
    • 1 acre – ¾ Acre: 6
    • ¾ Acre to ½ Acre: 4
    • ½ acre or less: 2
  • Honeybee colonies shall be kept in hive bodies with removable frames, which shall be kept in sound and usable condition. The hive body structure shall not exceed one standard 9-5/8 inch depth 10-frame hive body with no supers. In no case shall it exceed 6 feet in height.
  • The hive body must be removed within 30 days if no longer occupied by a colony. It shall be a violation of this section for unused equipment to attract a swarm, even if the beekeeper is not intentionally keeping honey bees.
  • Each beekeeper shall ensure that a convenient source of water is available within 10 feet of the hive body at all times that the colonies remain active outside of the hive body.
  • Each beekeeper shall ensure that no wax comb or other material that might encourage robbing by other bees are left exposed outdoors. Such materials must be stored in sealed insect-proof containers, or place within a building.
  • No selling of honey permitted within an approved home occupation permit.
  • Hive bodies must be set back at least 15 feet from all property lines and at least 25 feet from a principal dwelling unit on an abutting lot. A Hive body may not be located in a front yard or a side yard abutting a street.
  • A 6 foot tall flyway barrier is required in each instance where a hive body is kept less than 25 feet from a property line, as measured from the nearest point on the hive to the property line. The flyway barrier may consist of a wall, fence, or a combination there of, such that bees will fly over rather than through the material to reach the colony.
Animal Control

The Ramsey County Sheriff's Office handles animal control issues in the city. 

Mario Lee, Animal Control Officer/Community Service Officer, provides animal control services and helps educate pet owners in the city.  He responds to animal complaints Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm When he is not available, other patrol deputies provide emergency services. Nuisance wildlife calls are not handled by Officer Lee, but he can make referrals to a contract service.  

Owners of animals within the city must prevent the animal from becoming a nuisance by barking, baying, crying or howling in any manner for at least five continuous minutes or intermittently for unreasonable lengths of time. To report a barking dog, contact animal control through the Ramsey County Sheriff's non-emergency number at 651.484.3366.

Dogs and cats are not allowed to roam freely throughout the city. All pets must be confined to inside your property lines. When walking dogs or cats in the city, they must be on a leash no more than six feet in length and in the custody of a person who can adequately control the animal at all times.